Thursday, February 22, 2007

Engine & Transmission Oil Change

Yesterday I changed the engine and transmission oil and installed a new oil filter. Thinking this would be relatively quick, I alloted a few hours to complete the project.

Changing the engine oil went smoothly. I used 4 quarts of Castrol Syntec 10W30 synthetic motor oil. I used a K&N high performance oil filter, this was a bit tricky to install. Removing the oil filter was not possible with a filter removal tool. The method I found to be easiest was to remove the front under protect and reach up from underneath the car. Grasping the filter firmly one can twist it off and install the new one. The oil that was removed from the engine was black as night.

The transmission fluid was considerably more difficult to change. Draining the fluid was easy but I was reduced to using a hand sized oil pump to refill the transmission with a little over 2 quarts of 80W90 oil. As a note, the bolt that needs to be removed to access the filler hole is square. This should save some fumbling around trying to fit a socket onto it.

After the mess was cleaned up I took the car for a test drive. The engine was noticeably smoother and felt much less gritty. The transmission shifted much easier and the stiffness and clunkyness that was apparent going from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd gear was gone.

No comments: